This is our take on the traditional Jewish Noodle Kugel. Kugel is often served as a celebratory dish during holidays and Shabbat.
Sierra takes inspiration from one of her grandmother’s favorite recipes in making this delicious dish. She uses mascarpone cheese instead of the traditional cottage cheese and whips the egg whites to create a light fluffy texture in the final kugel.
- 12 ounce package of medium or thick egg noodles
- 1 pound sour cream
- 1 pound mascarpone cheese
- 6 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 2-4 tart apples, peeled and diced, depending on taste (can use raisins, peaches or anything else depending on season and desire)
- 1/2c Cinnamon Palm Beach Creamed Honey
- Half stick of butter
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Preheat oven to 375°F
1. Cook noodles according to directions on package, drain, add diced apples and set aside
2. Blend together egg yolks, sour cream, mascarpone cheese, Cinnamon Palm Beach Creamed Honey, and nutmeg
3. Mix cooked noodles into egg yolk, sour cream and marscapone cheese mixture
4. Beat eggs whites to stiff peaks
5. Carefully fold stiff egg whites into mixture.
6. Pour into greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake 35-45 minutes, checking after 25 minutes to make sure it isn’t getting too brown on top. You can cover with tinfoil to stop or slow the browning
The hardest part is letting it cool for one hour before cutting!